Monday, October 5, 2009

Working with Ubuntu, some tip by and for a newbie

I have Dell inspiron 1520. I was facing some problems with following, but fortunately, I could solve without much problem. Hope it helps

Here it is,

* Webcam is not detected.

My webcam was not detected by Camorama Webcam Viewer, so I tried Cheese Webcam Booth and it worked without any problem. Use it directly from add and remove applicaitons.

* Sound is very very low.

I have tried ALSA drivers for my sound card and from the Sound setting under System –> Preferences –> Sounds I am using OSS rather then ALSA. The sound did increase considerably and I am happy with the sound it is giving now, as compare to earlier that was very feeble.

* How to use Wine to install windows software in Ubuntu

To install Windows applications using Wine, follow these instructions:

  1. Download the Windows application from any source (e.g. download.com). Download the .EXE (executable).
  2. Place it in a convenient directory (e.g. the desktop, or home folder).
  3. Open the terminal, and cd into the directory where the .EXE is located.

  4. Type wine the-name-of-the-application.extension (e.g. wine realplayer.exe).

This will start the .EXE using Wine. If it is an installer, it should then run as it would in Windows. If the application asks for a directory to install the application to, select put it under C:\Program Files.More information is here Wine


Hope it helps.

No comments: